Friday, December 13, 2013

In West Philadelphia Born & Raised!

Yep. I'm rapping out to that while cooking today. I'm soo cool eh? Today I'm making Macaroni and Cheese (yumm!) With Roasted Butternut Squash (mac n cheese n squash? Whaat?) 

Here's the recipe before I go any further and forget to give it to you :) 

Ingredients

  • 400 g peeled butternut squash, finely diced, about 3 cups
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • cups dry elbow macaroni
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
  • 1 cup grated white cheddar, preferably aged
  • 1 cup grated light mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup grated gruyère
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs

Instructions

  • Position racks in centre and top third of oven. Preheat to 400F. Toss squash with oil on a baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven until tender, stirring halfway through, 16 to 18 min. Remove to a rack. Preheat broiler to 500F.
  • Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting salt, until al dente, 7 to 8 min. Drain.
  • Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium. Whisk in flour. Mixture will be dry and very lumpy. Gradually whisk in milk, Dijon, salt and cayenne. Stir until mixture comes to a boil, 5 to 7 min. Remove pan from heat and stir in pasta,cheese and squash until just coated. Do not melt cheese. Transfer to an 8-inch- square baking dish or 6 individual ovensafe dishes. Sprinkle panko over pasta.
  • Broil until top is golden, 2 to 3 min. Serve immediately.
Now I'm making some adjustments to this because I don't have all the "proper" ingredients and I'm too poor to buy them haha
I'm just using plain mozza and cheddar since I don't have light mozza, white cheddar or gruyere. I bet it will turn out just fine with normal cheeses haha
here is the link to where the recipe can be found online even though I copied mine out of a book at work during Wednesdays midnight shift (gag) I'll let you all know how it turned out after I'm finished!
xo Lisa 

No comments:

Post a Comment